This is the first of a new series of announcement type newsletters that I will be publishing on a regular basis this year in an effort to keep club members more informed of upcoming events and happenings. I chose the name "Compact Flash" because I want to keep it small (smaller than the regular "cable release" newsletter for sure), but it will hold a lot of data. Get it? With that being said, here we go...
1. "Cable Release" to be late. Speaking of the "Cable Release ", it will be a little late this month because Susan is on vacation with her new grandchildren. The newsletter should be out around the middle of January. Submit articles for inclusion to Susan at email@example.com.
2. Annual Banquet Jan 24th. The club's annual banquet will be held on the 24th of January at Bubba's BBQ at the Farmer's Market at Dam Neck Road and Princess Anne Rd. Festivities start at 6:00 PM and are planned to go until about 9:00. We have entertainment, good food, and will be handing out the annual awards. This is always a lot of fun, and we are expecting a huge turnout! Tickets are only $3 for members and $7 for guests. I'm not going to say too much about it here because you can see Belinda's blog for more details (and information about the guest speaker which I will leave for a surprise for her). You will not want to miss this. Register and pay online via PayPal at http://vabeachphotoclub.org/BanquetRegistration.
3. January 6th Membership Meeting. The Jan 6th meeting should be a good one. Joe Bullinger will be giving a presentation on infrared photography and David Grochmal will be giving a presentation on the upcoming "Images of Faith" exhibit. The competition category is "Open".
4. Online Competition Status. The Online competition is currently accepting uploads until January 12. This month's theme is also "Open". Then starting on the 13th, everyone will be able to vote on the uploaded pictures for five days. You can access the online competition from the club website. Look for a link in the upper right corner. Or click here http://vabeachphotoclub.org/OnlineCompetition. Any club member may participate in the online competition and we look forward to seeing your pictures. Upload your pictures today!
5. PayPal is now live! We now have a PayPal account set up for you to make your membership payment. You do not have to have a PayPal account to use it--you just have to have a credit card. As a reminder, all membership renewals are due in January, even if you just joined during the year last year. In that case we pro-rate your fee and you just pay for the months needed to cover you for the entire 2009 year. See http://vabeachphotoclub.org/paypal for more information or to make a membership payment. Contact Belinda if you have any questions about your membership dues. Bottom line is you either need to pay online by January 30th or in person at the January meeting to stay current on your membership.
6. Picture Pals. There has been some incredible activity among club members getting together for photo shoots around town. By far, the best way to coordinate these events is on our forums. And you should see some of the pictures that have come out of those meetups. Take a look at some of these:
7. Photoshop Focus Group. The Photoshop Focus Group meets on the same day as the membership meeting, in the church library at 6:00 PM. So, if you want to hone your PhotoShop skills, just come to the membership meeting a little early and stop by. You can even bring your laptop or digital images if you would like to see Joe or Skip work their magic on them. This coming meeting we will go over some of the things that everyone does in post processing images: sharpening, noise reduction, cropping, straightening, saving for printing and saving for web.
That's it for this issue of the Compact Flash. Please contact me or any board member if you have any questions or comments.
Best Regards and Happy New Year,